Why might laparoscopic gastric banding not be good?
• Commitment to follow-up needed to achieve good results
• A number of consultations required to inflate the gastric band to the optimum level
• A small number of people do not lose weight
What are the risks of laparoscopic gastric banding?
• Gastric band erosion (5%) – movement of the gastric band from outside stomach to inside
• Gastric band slippage (5%) – movement of the gastric band down the stomach
• Port related problems (10%)
• Gastric band infection (2%)
• Perforation of stomach (0.001%)
What results can I expect for my gastric band?
• Average excess weight loss of up to 50%
What do I need to do?
• Be committed to work with your gastric band
• Follow dietary and exercise advice
• Keep your follow-up appointments to ensure you band restriction is achieved and
If you have any other questions about obesity surgery e-mail